[fluka-discuss]: Simulation of Am-Be source

From: Raksha Rajput <rakshak_at_britatom.gov.in>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 12:35:34 +0530 (IST)

Dear Experts,

I wish to learn neutron transport using Fluka.

    1. The source is Am-Be source. I started with an alpha particle at (0,0,0) and target is Be-9. How should I score neutron dose rate in air at 1m ? I tried scoring but the results are not matching with literature data. Say, o/p from USRBDX when multiplied with neutron yield and flux to dose rate conversion factor (for average neutron energy 4.4 MeV), i should obtain the neutron dose rate - am I doing it correct ? As I intend to further solve neutron shielding problem, I chose to use a single energy (average for Am-Be source, from literature). (i/p: alpha1ambe.flair)
    2. I tried starting with 4.4 MeV neutron in BEAM, I could score neutron dose rate in air. But with HDPE as shield material, I could not get the expected neutron dose rate. (i/p: 2511ambe2b.flair)

Secondly, how to get the gamma dose rate as the decay of C-12* will give 4.43 MeV gamma, how to obtain this gamma and associated gamma dose rate at 1m ?

Please suggest/help. PFA my input files.

Regards,
Raksha Rajput