Re: AW: [fluka-discuss]: Heavy ions passing through thick target almost without interaction

From: <alfredo.ferrari_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:05:04 +0100

Dear Katja

Thanks for contacting us. The issue you see, that is the higher dose rate
at 0 deg with 2023.3 when compared with 2021.2, has nothing to do with
physics, but it is rather due to the fluence-to-dose conversion
coefficients.

Until 2021.2 included, since no conversion coefficient were available for
ions, their contribution to dose (in that case H*(1)) was zero as reported
in the manual of the time.

With 2023.3, the conversion coefficient for ions are still missing in the
ICRP/ICRU publications (those for alpha are now available up to a few
hundreds GeV), but Fluka now does attempt to make a very rough estimate of
how much they could be. This estimate can easily be a factor of a few in
error wrt the (unknown) "correct" conversion coefficient, however it was
felt that having something, even though inaccurate, was somewhat better
than scoring zero. From the current Fluka manual (AUXSCORE description):

   4) Dose conversion coefficients exist only for some particle types:
      protons, neutrons, muons, photons, electrons/positrons, and charged
      pions. 4-He conversion coefficients are also available for AMBDS,
      EAP116, EPA116, EIS116. For elementary hadrons a tentative, albeit
      approximate, association is made with one of the proton, neutron,
      charged pion conversion coefficient set. For all other particle
      types, in the past zero factor was returned. Starting with
      FLUKA2023, a very crude attempt is made to return a non-zero
      conversion coefficient, rescaling from available ones. This is
      anyway highly inaccurate, and therefore it should never be relied
      upon, particularly when heavy ions are an important contributor
      to the scored quantity (see Note 5).

   5) For particles such as heavy ions, for which fluence conversion
      factors are not available, it is possible to score with USRBIN the
      generalised particle DOSEQLET, i.e. dose equivalent as defined by
      ICRU: H = D x Q(L), where L is the unrestricted Linear Energy
      Transfer in water.

Indeed the "old" manual version of note 4) was:

   4) Dose conversion coefficients exist only for some particle types:
      hadrons, muons, photons, electrons/positrons. For all other
      particle types, zero factor will be returned. This is particularly
      important for heavy ions where zero factor will be scored (see
      Note 5)

So, the increase in dose at zero deg you observe is due to use of some
(possibly inaccurate) conversion coefficients for ions heavier than
alphas, where in the past zero was used (-> no dose). Of course if a non
negligible fraction of ions survive the target the effect is highly
visible, particularly for the heavier ions. Indeed the scaling factor used
is proportional to the stopping power of the particle, hence the
approximate conversion coefficients for ions roughly scale with Z^2 wrt
those of a proton at the same speed (energy/nucleon).

Perhaps more emphasis should have been put on this change by mentioning it
explicitly in the release notes. I would like to draw your attention to
note 5) as an alternative method of obtaining a dose equivalent estimation
for ions, very likely more accurate than the simple rescaling. A possible
way out would be to recompute the dose map excluding the ion contribution
(eg with a suitable fluscw routine), and computing a second map with
DOSEQLET restricted to the heavy ion contribution only (again with fluscw)
and ideally putting the two maps together.

Lety me know if the explanation is clear (I am not sure...)

Alfredo