[fluka-discuss]: Use of COMPOUND card

From: Carl Ross <carlkross_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 08:03:36 -0700

I am studying the properties of a mixture made up of four elements, say A,
B, C and D.

B, C and D are part of a compound.

It seemed logical to construct a compound made up of B, C and D and then a
separate compound to describe the mixture with A.

With the COMPOUND card, one has the option of giving the mass fraction or
the atom fraction. I noted that these two options gave different results.

After testing and searching, I found that this problem has been discussed:

http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/18775.html

I discovered how to use the atom fraction correctly but it is not well
documented in the Fluka manual (or maybe not at all).

This is just a suggestion that the documentation of how to use the atom
fraction in the case of a compound could be improved.

Note that:

- Fluka reports no error if the atom fraction is not used correctly (nor
could it);

- at least for my problem, the results were not obviously wrong at first
sight.

Thanks,

Carl Ross