RE: U-238 fission yield

From: Markus Brugger <Markus.Brugger_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:24:26 +0100

Hi Lucia,

- difference between FLUKA and MCNPX:
for U-238, and neutron energies below 20MeV, FLUKA uses evaluated cross
sections based on ENDF/B-VI, Jeff and Jendl. Fission neutrons are
created using a group-dependent fission probability and are emitted
isotropically with an energy sampled from a fission spectrum which is
specific for the isotope. For energies above 20MeV fission is fully
treated by models. For MCNPX it is similar, however for energies between
20-150MeV the xSections are based on computed xSection sets, thus the
comparison shown by you shows a reasonable agreement, certainly within
the uncertainties of the respective assumptions.

- missing 'dip'
the usual 'dip' in the mass spectra can be nicely seen at typical
fission spectra energies of ~2.8 MeV (or fully separated in case of
spontaneous fission), however at 40 MeV it's already 'filled' (then
becoming 'Gaussian' for higher E) - thus the distribution is what one
expects.

- how to score fission reactions only:
in your case (40MeV) this will not make a big difference, however if
needed you can use the scoring user-routine (usrrnc.f, don't forget
USERWEIG WHAT(5) > 0.0) and check the common <RESNUC> for LRNFSS. The
latter will be true if the parent reaction was fission.

hope this helps, cheers

Markus