Re: About pion and muon productions

From: Anna Ferrari <anna.ferrari_at_lnf.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 08:08:33 +0200 (CEST)

 Dear Hantao,

 your results cannot be in agreement with experimental data or
 previous calculations, because you did not calculate the pion
 (and the muon) yield in the correct way. From the input file you sent,
 it appears that you have calculated CURRENT and not FLUENCE!
 (you have set what(1)=-1. in all your USRBDX cards).

 As pointed out many times (see for example p.24-25 in:
  http://www.fluka.org/content/course/NEA/lectures/Scoring.pdf )

 the correct quantity to be used is FLUENCE. If you want quantify
 your particle field you need a surface independent quantity: fluence
 and not current. The pion field at your boundary crossing depends
 on the interactions in your volume; fluence, that is in a way
 a measure of the pion density there, is the correct quantity.

 I imagine that, due to the 1/cos(theta) weight and considering
 the correlation between energy and the angle of emission,
 your distributions will change...

  Regards,
  Anna

 Anna Ferrari
 CNAO Foundation
 National Center for Oncological Hadrontherapy
 Strada Campeggi I-27100 Pavia (Italy)