spikes or bands: multigroup fingerprints

From: Mary Chin <Mary.Chin_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:19:33 +0200

Hi,

The following is not a problem. Just asking.
If I look at the energy of neutrons simulated with the multigroup
structure, I find:
- discrete spikes, as opposed to bands. A few years ago (using the
old/coarse multigroup structure) when I was looking at the energy of
generated gammas, I found smeared bands, not spikes. What is the
difference between the two cases? Aren't bands a better representation
than spikes?
- the discrete spikes lie *somewhere* between the energies listed in
Table 10.1 of the manual, not on the border and not really at the centre
of the group boundaries. How are the discrete energies chosen?

Many thanks.

:) mary