Re: LET Spectrum

From: Anna Ferrari <anna.ferrari_at_lnf.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:58:38 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Mojdeh Najm,

first of all please give a look to your geometry: it seems to me that your
regions target1 and target2 are overlapping (you defined two RCC
with the same radius one containing the other, but in the region definition
you forgot to subtract...).

Coming to the LET spectra, if you want to select the contribution of hadron=
with energy > 20 MeV it seems to me reasonable to use the generalized
particle HADG20M.
As you wrote your first quantity in USRYIELD will be the LET, having in
mind (see for example
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/1250.html)
that LET bins are given in keV/(micron g/cm^3). You have to choose a
reasonable interval.
The bin contents will be normalized to the unit interval of your second
variable (GeV in your case, if you use kinetic energy), because the
distributions are always expressed as double-differential, even if in the
second variable we have only one bin. In your place I would set 20 MeV as
lowest limit of the kinetic energy (it is not mandatory), due to the fact
that you are already requiring this energy cut.
At the end you will get d2N/dLETdE by setting what(6) with ixa=3D3 (plane
double differential yield, it does not make sense to choose the cross
section!).

An observation more. You put What(4)=3D-1, What(5)=3D-2, so that you
are scoring particles *emerging* from inelastic interactions in your two
silicon targets. In my opinion you don't want to do this but you want to
score the contribution to the LET of all the hadrons > 20 MeV... then I
would set as scoring surface in USRYIELD the boundary crossing between the
two parts of your target: you will get your LET distribution according
with the layer thickness(see for ex.
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/2215.html).

Hope it helps,
Regards,