RE: Random seed (RANDOMIZE)

From: Mary Chin <mchin_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 10:23:13 +0200

Hi Chris,

I wish not to expend further bandwidth on this, but just to clarify to the
wider fluka-discuss community:

There's a gulf of difference between RANDOMIZ's WHAT(2) and the seed.
WHAT(2) is as simple as 1, 2, 3; it is fool-proof. Seeds are of funny
numbers. That is why WHAT(2) is in place -- to mask dangerous exposures.

Monte Carlo simulation of radiation transport is naturally parallel, as
mentioned earlier. Slicing up the task orthogonally against its nature
would make no difference to the user -- except that it makes simulations
even longer due to cross-talk (forced and unnecessary) overhead. The only
possible advantage I can think of is when we have more cores than the
total number of histories, eg. we have 8 cores and we need strictly no
more than 7 histories.

Stopping here, as I have a sneaky feeling that the fluka-discuss moderator
would consider exercising his spam filter.

Cheers!

:) mary