Limitation of characters per line in the geometry

From: Chris Theis <Christian.Theis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 17:20:44 +0000

Dear colleagues,

I wanted to ask the developers if it would be possible to raise the limit
of 130 characters per line in the region description of an input? I have
experienced it several times that this limit becomes quite an impediment
lead=ing also to wrong error messages like "STOP UNKNOWN BODY NAME" or
"unbalanced parentheses". On one hand the first error message is of rather
limited use as the body name which is unknown is not printed and thus, it
remains unknown to the code as well as to the user. The second message
might even be incorrect as the parentheses are indeed balanced. However,
the message is triggered because FLUKA's parser cuts the line at 130
characters. Unfortunately, those cases are quite difficult to resolve
because neither the first nor the second error message indicate at which
point of the input they appear and in every non-trivial geometry the
process of identifying the problem becomes quite cumbersome.

Therefore, if the line length must indeed be statically limited for any
reason, I'm wondering if this limit could be raised at least to 256
characters?

Thanks a lot
Chris