Re: low energy neutron cross section

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:31:35 -0800 (PST)

Dear Zhang Weihua,

you are trying to get an energy deposition spectrum in a gas-filled cavity
with a plastic wall. But the energy deposited is largely produced by
particles generated in the wall (mainly protons but also gammas). And these
protons may have lost some energy inside the wall.
It is not a simple situation, and it could well be that the effects you expect
are diluted or washed out by other effects.
If you want to be sure, make a test with a VERY large cavity (perhaps 1 km
radius) without any wall, filled only with a mixture of the elements
you are interested in (C and O).

Anyway, your input is not clear at all, and it is difficult to debug.
Some examples:

- a card LOW-NEUT (which is not needed!) requesting pointwise cross sections,
    while these are not available for any of the materials you use
- a MAT-PROP card with WHAT(4) = Tissue-E and nothing else. What does it mean?
- a lot of stuff not used in the present problem. It can often happen that
    one keeps in in input a number of commands irrelevant for the present
    purpose (in your case: EMF, EMF-BIAS, etc.) but such stuff should be removed
    if you send your input to be checked.
- many STERNHEIMEr parameters and values of ionization potential which
    are not needed, since they don't change the standard values which are
    already in FLUKA

Alberto