Re: Clarification of DOSE-EQ units in a USRBIN estimator

From: Stefan Roesler <sroesler_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:19:59 +0200

Dear Mina

USRBIN scoring of fluence is in units of particles/cm2 per unit primary
weight. Here, region-dependent scoring needs either volume input or
off-line division by the volume by the user. Note, that FLUKA internally
scores track-length (cm/primary) and only the division by the scoring
volume (automatically for region-independent meshes, by the user in case
of region-dependent scoring) gives fluence (=track-length density).

Scoring of DOSE-EQ means (on-line) folding of fluence with conversion
coefficients that carry the unit pSv*cm2. Thus, the output of
USRBIN/DOSE-EQ is in units of pSv per unit primary weight
(/cm2/primary * pSv*cm2)

As you correctly mention, if USRBIN scoring refers to residual radiation
(irradiation profile defined and scoring assocciated with a cooling time)
all quantities are rates, i.e. fluence rate (particles/cm2/s) or dose
equivalent rate (pSv/s).

Cheers
Stefan