RE: definition of liquid hydrogen?

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 09:05:29 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Brandon,

you say that "it is well known that liquid hydrogen shielding drastically
lowers dose". That is true for doses of neutrons with energies higher than a few
tens of MeV, but not for neutrons of much higher energy.
For a typical shield of a high energy proton accelerator, the best shielding
configuration consists of a layer of high-Z (high atomic number) material, such
as steel, followed by a low-Z shield with high hydrogen content - most often
concrete. This scheme takes advantage of high inelastic cross sections such as (n,xn) or
(n,n') in high-Z materials to reduce the neutron energy effectively. The lower
energy neutrons generated in this process are then best attenuated by moderation
and absorption down to thermal energies in hydrogenous material.

Of course, I realize that a steel shield would be difficult to set up in space.
But don't be surprised that neutrons from 1 GeV spallation are only partially
shielded by pure hydrogen.

Alberto