Re: FLUKA - sum files not reporting the final units after applying conversion coefficients via an AUXSCORE card

From: Mina Nozar <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:01:21 -0700

Hello Julie,

I am sending this to the list as well because I don't want to give you any incorrect answers as I am not a FLUKA expert.

I actually have never scored DOSE-EQ crossing a boundary using a USRBDX estimator but I have scored DOSE-EQ in a volume
using a USRTRACK estimator. Here, I'll give a shot at an answer to your question, hoping other FLUKA experts would
correct me if they see something wrong.

If you used Neutrons instead of DOSE-EQ in Part and without the AUXSCORE card, you would be scoring Neutrons crossing
the boundary. The units in sum.lis file would be Neutrons/cm^2/prim. If you don't give the area of the boundary (def.
1), the units are Neutrons/prim. If you know the primary beam intensity (prim/sec), you can give this as a
normalization factor in the Norm box and you'll get Neutrons/sec.

Here you are using a USRBDX estimator, scoring DOSE-EQ from neutrons crossing a boundary between regions sp15 and
DOS318. The area of the boundary has to be set (which in your case is 27925.268 cm^2). When you plot this distribution
in flair, the units are in PSv/GeV/cm^2/prim (if you plot Y for Y) and PSv/cm^2/prim if you plot (Y*DX for Y). The sum
of the DOSE-EQ reported in the sum.lis file should be in pSv/GeV/prim.

When scoring DOSE-EQ, you should ignore the units in the sum.lis and tab.lis files since these units do not take into
account the conversion factors applied (PSv*cm^2). I would assume this would be true for other quantities where a set
of conversion factors is applied via an AUXSCORE card. This is very confusing for a beginner (and in my humble opinion
not a good practice). I would hope future changes in FLUKA would correct this feature.

As a side, it is a good practice to look at the particle fluence in a given volume or crossing boundaries as well as the
DOSE-EQ, just to see what the "raw" distribution looks like before any conversion coefficients are applied.

I hope this helps Julie.
Best wishes,
Mina