Re: neutrons from alpha-n and spontaneous fission

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:11:58 +0200

Dear Marco,

> I would like to ask you if we can use FLUKA to estimate the flux and
> energy spectrum of neutrons produced via
> - spontaneous fission (of 238U)

no, the only decay radiation generated and transported by FLUKA so far,
consists in electrons, positrons, (neutrinos) and photons from beta and
gamma decays. Neither alpha decay nor spontaneous fission is explicitly
simulated. This may also be relevant to the recent question from Oleg
concerning the chain from the 242Am metastable state

http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/4823.html

which can be input as such (negative WHAT(3) of the HI-PROPE card) but
will deliver only the electromagnetic products.

> - alpha-n reactions (in various materials)

The mentioned BME package is indeed embedded in the distributed FLUKA.2011
and can in principle handle alpha induced reactions down to threshold
energy. However, in case of alpha projectiles pre-equilibrium emissions
are not included (they will be there in the next minor/major release) and
this may significantly affect some observables (e.g. heavy residue
excitation functions at low incident energies, whereas neutron spectra
from 400 MeV alphas on carbon have been found to be reasonably well
reproduced).

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti