Re: Documentation on SPECSOUR

From: Samuel Hedges <schedges_at_lbl.gov>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:54:31 -0700

Dear Stefan Roesler,

I am using FLUKA to characterize the response of a luminosity monitor
to pp and heavy-ion collisions, and had a few questions after seeing
your post. I'm trying to understand which cross sections DPMJET uses
for collisions. Francesco had mentioned that DPMJET doesn't simulate
electromagnetic dissociations for heavy ion collisions. Are the only
interactions for these collisions inelastic? I ask because we thought
we saw an elastic peak near the beam energy in the attached graph:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4677/ir140290protonmomentumd.png

I found a publication on DPMJET that states "Gribov-Glauber multiple
scattering formalism...allows the calculation of total, elastic,
quasi-elastic, and production cross sections for any high-energy
nuclear collision."
(http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-wrap/getdoc/slac-pub-11093.pdf). I
was hoping you might be able to help clarify which types of
interactions DPMJET simulates and the cross sections it uses.

I found Glauber cross sections for some of the collisions I am running
here: http://dde.web.cern.ch/dde/glauber_lhc.htm. Are these the cross
sections that are used by DPMJET?

I appreciate your help. Thank you,

Samuel Hedges