RE: When to use self-shielding materials?

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 20:29:24 +0000

Dear George,

As a first test I would try to score the "averaged" energy dependent neutron
fluence within the dump using a USRTRACK card and both sets of cross sections
(self-shielded or not). If you have the production cross section of the isotopes
you are measuring in your foil, you could then make a sensitivity study which
would give you an hint on the effect. It is rather subjective but the size of your
dump is maybe not that "huge" for the self-shielding effect to be significant.

Also, if the thin sample is made of lead and is within the lead (if I understood correctly)
I would use the same cross section for both as fluence wise, there is no heterogeneity between the two....

Cheers
Joachim