Biasing photons

From: Monica Huerta Parajon <mhuerta_at_essbilbao.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:51:15 +0100

Dear experts,

  I am currently focused on estimating the shielding required for a target
room for radiobiological studies. Hence, I would like to calculate the
PHOTONS and DOSE-EQ due to neutrons and photons produced after irradiating
a water sample with a 50 MeV proton beam.

After reading the manual, I have found out that biasing should be used in
order to calculate the generation of photons and the use of the BIASING
card is recommended. Therefore, I have set this card for all regions and
photon particle.

BIASING -1. PHOTON

I do not have any experience on biasing and I would be grateful if you
could advice me if any other card would be needed in order to have accurate
results. I read that LAM-BIAS and EMF-BIAS are recommended for electron
accelerators but not sure about protons.

  I do not really understand why a biasing card is needed in order to obtain
an accurate photon flux when the neutron flux, of a similar order of
magnitude, is not necessary to be biased.

  Thank you for your time

Monica Huerta

--
Monica Huerta Parajon