Re: Comparable Fluka and GEANT4 Data for the Thermal Neutrons Detection!

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:10:16 +0100

Dear Jamil & Kim Hyeon Gi,

you used natural boron (BORON) and associated to it the 10B cross
sections, this does not work.
---> In order to explicitly produce an alpha and 7Li ion pair from the
neutron interaction on 10B, you must define a monoisotope material named
BORON-10 (do not fill the atomic weight [WHAT(2)] - that it is always
better to leave blank -, but the mass number [WHAT(6)=10.0]) and if needed
combine it with BORON-11 (to be defined as well) into a natural boron
compound.
---> Then ask for ion (i.e. alpha and 7Li) transport with IONTRANS and set
an appropriate ion transport threshold with PART-THR applied to 4-HELIUM
(7Li will get the same energy per nucleon threshold, see Note 2 of the
PART-THR card).
---> Moreover, note that RESNUCLE will give you the nuclei stopping in the
respective region and not the ones going through! To score alphas and
7Li's leaving the converter you can use a boundary crossing current
estimator (USRBDX).

As a more general comment, I would like to point out that comparing
different codes is a good practice, though not trivial to carry out.
And in such an exercise there is no reason to take the results of one of
the considered codes as unquestionable experimental data.

Best regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI