Re: missing "Spawn run in many CPU's"

From: Nicholas Bolibruch <nicholas.bolibruch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:06:39 -0600

Hi Vasilis,

Everything you described works well except for selecting all the clones and
typing in a new Spawn value. When I double click to modify the Spawn field
all the selected runs deselect and only the single field next to a single
run gets editted. I tried holding shift down while doing this, or holding
down ctrl, which then doesn't permit me to change the Spawn field. What am
I doing wrong?

I've also managed to crash Flair without a debug popup window appearing, by
attaching to the parent run off the list of a multicore run (I chose 5),
then selecting Kill. The terminal output is as follows:

> pkill: killing pid 1 failed: Operation not permitted
> pkill: killing pid 2 failed: Operation not permitted
> Killed
I was also hoping to let Flair go through the entire run of selected
clones, but I noticed it wouldn't run until I selected a particular run.
So I decided to select them all then press Run - I think it decided to
spawn all the cloned runs at once (35 clones, 5 spawns each) because the
entire machine locked up. I couldn't even ctrl-alt-f# to a terminal or ssh
into the machine. If I wanted Flair to go through the entire Run list
automatically what would I need to do?

I know this is a newer feature, so I understand there are still bugs to be
worked out. Otherwise, until now I've been using a bash script to do these
iterative runs, so I'm excited to make more use of these features.

--Nick

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Vasilis Vlachoudis <
Vasilis.Vlachoudis_at_cern.ch> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> the functionality is still there and a bit more easier. Now there is a
> column called "Spawn" on the list of runs. Just type the number of spawn
> jobs you want there. Enter zero (0) to remove all spawns.
> Warning that the spawn naming has changed instead of _Input_## is
> Input_XX where XX are two letters
> As well the random numbers are assigned in sequence starting from the
> random number assigned to the master run.
>
> The new button that added "Loop" allows to make runs scanning over one or
> many variables
> e.g. lets make several runs scanning in energy from 2 to 10 GeV every 2 GeV
> * define a variable ENE for energy
> #define ENE 2.0 (At this point the value is not so important)
> * assign this variable to the beam energy (what(1) negative) in the beam
> card
> BEAM Beam: Function E: =-ENE
> Go the the Run frame create a clone run and click on the "Loop" icon
> Select
> variable: ENE
> start value: 2.0
> end value: 10.0
> step: 2.0
> Click [Ok] and you will have the runs clone-1 clone-2, ... with the
> variable changing value
> Now if you want to spawn 4 runs for each clone
> Select all clones and type in the "Spawn" field 4
>
> Cheers
> Vasilis

Nicholas Bolibruch