Thermal analysis of power deposited in a beam dump - using info from usrbin

From: Mina Nozar <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:06:58 -0700

Hello everyone,

I am working on the shielding design/assessment of a 100 kW electron
beam dump.

For thermal analysis and design of cooling for the dump insert, I score
the deposited energy (by all particles) in the beam dump using a
usrbin. I also look at the total deposited energy in various regions
of the dump.

Does anyone have experience in how the data from the usrbin is used in
Ansys or Cosmos? I know I can generate a number of 2D data files
showing the deposited energy for a slice in the third dimension. But I
am not sure this is the way to go. I seem to recall someone mentioning
at the most recent advanced course that there is another intermediary
step. Is this the case? Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,
Mina