Re: Fluka simulation and its experimental verification

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:14:57 +0200

Dear Dr. Patil,

I think that the simplest way to check the neutron spectra calculated by FLUKA
is the activation technique using several activation detectors with different
thresholds, although it cannot cover the whole energy range you are interested
in. You can fold the neutron spectra calculated by FLUKA by the cross section
of different threshold detectors and verify if the result agrees with your
measurement.
Try "threshold activation detectors" on Google, and you will find many
lists of useful ones. I suggest that you look for instance at Table 1 of the
article by Kardan et al., Radiation Measurements 38, pp. 185–191 (2004).
As you can see, the lowest energy thresholds are those of the reactions
103-Rh(n,n')103m-Rh (150 keV), and 115-In(n,n')115m-In (600 keV). You cannot
measure neutrons with energy less than 150 keV by the activation technique,
but above this energy there are many possibilities.

Alberto

--
Alberto Fass