Re: AW: Making klongs decay at a fixed position

From: Joseph Comfort <Joseph.Comfort_at_asu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:10:07 -0700 (MST)

Dear Anna,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply and good explanations. I understand a
little better now.

I made the studies I needed by reducing the decay time (in PAPROP) of both
klong and kshort, while keeping the ratio. This worked fine for my
purposes. As I mentioned, the LAM-BIAS did not work well for me. I am
not sure why, but perhaps because there was a broad range of klong
energies in my 'beam' file.

I recognize and understand that Fluka is designed to give reliable physics
results as best as possible. That is good. It is put together well, and
is exceptionally careful with biasing. I think it has very high quality
and, at least in some of my applications, does better than some
alternatives.

Fluka is needed not only to simulate the reality of a physics project, but
also to study the mechanisms and details of detector response. It is just
as important to study how post-MC analysis codes can distinguish different
types of responses. It is sometimes necessary to look at the signatures
of specific particle decay modes. Backgrounds can be many orders of
magnitude larger than the process of interest, which might be a rare
decay, and one must be sure that an event thought to be "the real thing"
does not come from some other process with very low probability. Hence,
studies of incomplete or 'unphysical' processes must be done. In doing
so, I only want to be sure that some subtle feature of the code does not
unduly distort the results.

Sincerely,
Joe Comfort