Re: Grid computing

From: Yannick Patois <yannick.patois_at_iphc.cnrs.fr>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:01:19 +0200

Hi,

Le 26/06/2013 10:44, Palma Altieri a écrit :
> I need to run my FLUKA application on Grid, does anybody know a
> possible way to do this?

We do that routinely at IPHC (http://iphc.cnrs.fr) using our WLCG grid
system. There are little (if any) technical problems.

The *big* problem is the licensing of the code, it is very restrictive
and thus requires a lot of setup and controls, meaning you wouldn’t be
able to use it :(

* What we did:
    - We created a dedicated VO group in our own local VO, accepting only
(local) users that comply with the licensing terms.
    - This group is mapped on a specific user pool, belonging to the UNIX
group that is allowed to read the fluka directory.

* What you may want to do:
    - Take the Fluka code as part of your job and run
   Pros:
    - Will work anywhere
   Cons:
    - Very heavy (600MB) means you cant take it with your sandbox, will
have to be copied on some SE before
    - Code setup will take long as you'll have to copy the code on your
WN before running
    - You may break some part of the license by copying the code on SE
and WN where someone else (at least the admins) could read it.

* What could be done:
    - Ideally: Fluka managers setup some server that records DNs of
registered users allowed to run Fluka. We connect this somehow with our
ARGUS/glexec system so that we can map users to the right group if the
server confirms DN rights. Need some work.
    - Workable: a world Fluka VO is created (we could likely support it
at our site) and membership is maintained by Fluka managers. Anyone
registered could belong to that VO and could run jobs on it (main
problem is that VO, as computations rights are more related on which
physics you do, than on which tool you use). Can be ready quite fast.

Any other suggestion welcome.

        Yannick