RE: plotting of neutron fluence in flair

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 04:44:16 -0700 (PDT)

<alpine.LRH.2.00.1308070051440.17472_at_yakut15.slac.stanford.edu> <000501ce98cd$a6cfb1b0$f46f1510$_at_ift.uib.no>
Sender: owner-fluka-discuss_at_smtp2.mi.infn.it

Dear Kristian,

yes, when plotting dPhi/d(log E), the linear y-axis is to be preferred because
then the areas under the curve are proportional to the corresponding integrals.
But still, the general shape of the spectrum is conserved: for instance you
see peaks where there are peaks, and a constant spectrum where the spectrum
goes as 1/E. In other words, you lose the quantitative information, but you
keep the qualitative one (the "feeling in which energy region you have
more/less neutrons" mentioned by Vasilis). On the contrary, plotting dPhi/dE,
either whith y linear or logarithmic, makes you lose all useful information.
Unfortunately, this type of plot is often found even in textbooks.

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025