Re: Parameter in routine atmloc_2011.f

From: Giuseppe Battistoni <giuseppe.battistoni_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 15:54:43 +0200

Dear Pierre-Simon
I will try now to explain the meaning of that parameter:
having fixed a value for geomagnetic latitude (and longitude) you get a
well defined value for the rigidity geomagnetic cutoff, but if you give
a null (zero) tolerance ("acceptance") your geometry set-up created by the
atmloc code will be infinitesimally thin.
By giving a value different from 0 to Geomagnetic cut-off acceptance
the code will define a band of tolerance in geomagnetic latitude around
your point so to define a finite area on the earth surface.

The larger the acceptance the wider will be the mag. latitude interval.
and the corresponding portion on the earth surface.

The extension of such an area will of course depend on the value of the
latitude at your reference point, the corresponding cut-off value and
the value of the acceptance given by you.

Unfortunately It is hard to quantify a priori the proper value to choose.
You must try and check (all numbers will be in output from atmloc)
and adjust the value according to your needs.

Hoping I was somewhat clear...

        Giuseppe

On 8/29/13 2:14 PM, Pierre-Simon MANGEARD wrote:
> Dear fluka experts,
>
> When i run atmloc_2011 to create the geometry file for earth, the following parameter is asked :
>
> "Geomagnetic cut-off acceptance (GeV)"
>
> I am not sure to understand what is it? Is it the rigidity cut-off at the latitude and longitude of interest? Is it the vertical
> rigidity cut-off that can also be specified in SPECSOUR card? Is it anything else?
>
> Thank you in advance for help
>
> Pierre-Simon Mangeard

> Space Physics and Energetic Particles Research
> Department Of Physics
> Faculty of Sciences
> Mahidol University
> Bangkok, Thailand