Re: [fluka-discuss]: About the use of MULSOPT card

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:44:44 +0100 (BST)

Dear YuanChen,

> But,what is the meaning "at boundaries"?
*At boundaries in the geometry.

> What is the step on earth?
*Particle steps. Monte Carlo simulations consist of particle steps: some are
artificial, others are physical.

> So,I suspect the method of dealing with single scattering and multiple
> scattering is different
*That's the whole purpose of doing multiple scattering. The rationale behind
multiple scattering is the same for different Monte Carlo codes; standard Monte
Carlo texts therefore apply and you might wish to refer to them for better
understanding. The algorithm and implementation differ from code to code, but
under normal circumstances I don't think one needs to dig into such details.

It is a compromise between speed and accuracy. On the one hand, we don't want
artefacts. On the other hand, without multiple scattering many simulations would
become prohibitive even with present-day CPU capability. How bad can artefacts
be? That depends on the geometry and transport setup as well as the scoring.

:) mary