[fluka-discuss]: energy information of fission products

From: Milena Quittnat <milena.eleonore.quittnat_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:50:50 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts,

I am studying hadron-irradiated inorganic scintillator materials (PbWO4, LYSO) with FLUKA.
For PbWO4, the hadrons undergo fission with lead or tungsten and the created nuclear fragments cause a very high ionisation along their path in the crystal. This leads to a permanent transmission loss.
Measurements show that the transmission loss (more precisely the radiation-induced absorption coefficient) as a function of the cumulative proton fluence is a factor 5 less for LYSO than for PbWO4. This factor is not directly reflected by the fission density or the displacement per atom of LYSO, which is only a factor 2 lower. The star density is even roughly the same for both materials. Apparently, the induced hadron damage is different for both materials and I would like to understand it a bit better.
Is there a way to extract the energy information of the fission fragments in FLUKA?
That would give me a good hint towards an explanation of the difference in the transmission loss.
It would be interesting to score for example the track length per star/fission as a function of a critical energy.
I was told that I could get the information in the user routine "fheavy" or "tracker", is that right?

Thank you very much for your help
Kind regards,

Milena Quittnat