Re: [fluka-discuss]: Deposited energy

From: Emilio Ciuffoli <ciuffoli_at_ihep.ac.cn>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 19:31:29 +0800

Dear Mina,

   I faced a problem very similar to your; however I'm not an expert in
Fluka (I started to use it one month ago) and hence my solution probably is
not the best one (and, for sure, is not the most elegant one).

Using the card EVENTDAT it is possible to save the energy deposited by
every single particle in a given volume; from these information you can
obtain your histogram. However, if you save the data in the ASCII format,
there is a lot of text that can be annoying if you want to use a program to
elaborate the data and obtain your plot.

You can save your data in a binary file, but in this case you have to write
a script in order to read them and to put them in a more accessible format.
You have two possibility, at this point:

1) If you don't know the fortran language (like me) you can find an example
of a script that reads the bin file in the FLUKA webpage on
EVENTDAT<http://www.fluka.org/fluka.php?id=man_onl&sub=32>.
I modified this script and my output file now is simply a string with the
deposited energy for every event, that I can read with a C++ code or with
Matematica in order to obtain the histogram.
2) If you have a better knowledge of the language, you can divide the
events in bin directly in the fortran script, writing in the output file
the number of events per bin

As I said, however, this is definitely not the optimal solution, and I am
quite confident that there is a better way.

NOTE: technically, the card EVENTDAT gives you much more information: the
deposited energy is divided into the energy deposited by ionization, by
pair productions ecc... Depending on what you need, you can consider them
separately or sum all these contributions; you just have to slightly modify
your fortran code.

Best Regards
Emilio Ciuffoli