Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to determine the fraction of deposited energy going into ith scintillation photon emission in the "OPT-PROD" card?

From: Joseph Comfort <Joseph.Comfort_at_asu.edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:54:30 -0700

Dear Anna,

The input for optical photons is overall confusing, and often some
information about the properties of materials is unknown or not
available. The fraction of the deposited energy one of the most
confusing parameters.

It seems to me that using the experimental observed N_ph/MeV may not be
correct. This number would include the effects of absorption in the
materials, incomplete collection of the light, loss through cookies,
etc. At least some of these would be included in the Fluka
calculations, leading to possible double-counting the effects. There is
also an issue with mixed scintillation/Cherenkov radiation.

How are all of these issues, as well as things such as Birk's
corrections, balanced with each other?

Thank you,
Joe Comfort