Re: [fluka-discuss]: muon production frm gamma conversion or positron annhilation

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 03:06:52 -0800 (PST)

Production of photomuons in FLUKA and G4 is implemented according to
different theories:
- in FLUKA, according to Tsai, Rev. Mod. Phys. 46, 815 (1974)
- in G4, according to Kelner, Kokoulin and Petrukhin, CERN-SL-2002-016 (2002)

In the absence of experimental data, the fact that FLUKA results differ from
those of G4 can mean one of three things:

1) Fluka results are not correct
2) G4 results are not correct
3) Both Fluka and G4 results are not correct.

Unless a good benchmark is provided, nobody may say that anyone of
the three statements above is true.

Anyway, I can tell you the following about the FLUKA model:
- the same model has been implemented in the MUCARLO code of L. Keller and in
   the MARS code of N. Mokhov
- no benchmark is available about muon spectra, but measured doses have been
   well reproduced by both FLUKA and MARS, as reported in:
   Code benchmark of muon flux after a several meters of iron from 14 and 18 GeV
   electron induced reactions in forward direction
   T.Sanami, W.R.Nelson and N.V.Mokhov
   SLAC Radiation Physics Note, RP-07-15 (2007)
- measured muon doses have been well predicted by FLUKA at the SLAC LCLS
   machine

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any similar benchmark done with G4. If you
know some, I would be interested to know.
Of course, the benchmarks I have mentioned do not refer to spectra but
only to doses. So the above points 1) to 3) can still all be true.

Alberto