Re: Re: [fluka-discuss]: some questions about charged particle transport

From: <yyc2011_at_mail.ustc.edu.cn>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:54:40 +0800 (CST)

Dear Giuseppe,

  First,Thanks for your reply.But,I still have some questions.
  (1)I wil study the paper so as to solve the problem.
  (2)In the Fluka course,you refer to the validity conditions of Moliere theory more than once. But, what are the validity conditions of Moliere theory? Could you tell me in detail?

Any multiple scattering therory applies when in a given step you have several coulomb scattering.Several is a qualitative word. In practice, as a rule of thumb, you may be safe if you expect many tens of scatterings.

So,According to your view,when refer to scattering,I can only estimate scattering numbers to determine whether it is appropriate to use the mutiple scattering.And in general,how could you estimate scattering numbers?
  (3)We advice single scattering only when you have thickness of materials so small that the above conditions risks to be not respected.A couple of practical examples:
- layers of nuclear photographic emulsions.where you aim to measure charged tracks with few micron accuracy
- very thin layers of silicon trackers (order of 100 micron or less)

According to your idea,There are no specific conditions to tell me when should I use single scattering.I must judge whether I should use single sattering as specific questions change.

  I don't know whether my understanding are right.Wish to receive from you.

Best regards
Chen Yuan