RE: [fluka-discuss]: determining cross-section- sanity check

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:25:25 +0000

Dear Andrew,

If you add a USRYIELD scoring with PHOTON on WHAT(2) and you revert back to the WHAT(4) and WHAT(5) you originally used, then you get the yield of photons (differential in energy) exiting your target at the backside. If you would now have a thick target, this would not be the ideal method to get the photon spectrum from pion-decay since A) photons could interact within the target and hence they can loose energy or they could be absorbed before exiting and B) photons could also emerge from other processes than pion-zero decay. But since you have a very thin target, the exiting photons should be mostly from pi-zero decay and they most likely have no interaction before exiting (but still be aware of my comments above if you once change the target geometry).

Another (more advanced way) to directly look at decay products from pion-zeros is to use the MGDRAW user routine (which then needs to be compiled and linked against FLUKA to get your own FLUKA executable). MGDRAW has different entries, which can be specifically be activated by using the USERDUMP card in your input file. The relevant entry to intercept interaction products is USDRAW. If you are interested to give it a try, look at the sample code below. The idea is to dump the energy of photons created in pi-zero decay in a file (histogramming must be done by yourself at the postprocessing level).

I have just another remark: to avoid running millions of primaries to get high-statistics results, you may want to consider to artificially alter the inelastic nuclear interaction length in your target via LAM-BIAS.

Please send new questions always to the mailing list, so that other people can also profit from the answer (or give another answer by themselves). I take the liberty to forward this message to the mailing list

Cheers, Anton

Sample code:

* The following IF condition is fulfilled if A) the incoming particle (JTRACK=particle ID)
* is a pi-zero (which has particle code 23) and if B) the physical process was a particle decay (ICODE=102):
      IF ( JTRACK .EQ. 23 .AND. ICODE .EQ. 102 ) THEN

* We only look at pion-zero decay in the target## (note that your two target layers have the region number 3 and 4)
         IF( MREG .EQ. 3 .OR. MREG .EQ. 4) THEN

* Here we loop over all secondaries from the decay:
                   DO 199 INMB = 1, NP

* We only look at photons (which have particle code 7) as in rare cases you might get other decay modes (e.g. e^- + e^+ + photon)
                         IF( KPART( INMB ) .EQ. 7) THEN

* Here you might want to include a print statement which dumps TKI (INMB), which is the photon energy
* If you use any biasing technique, you must also consider the statistical weight of the photon ( given by WEI(INMB))

                         END IF
 199 CONTINUE

         END IF
      END IF

## The reason why we restrict ourselves to pion-zero decay inside the target is that other particles (kaons, charged pions) can still decay in your surrounding vacuum and some of these decay products are pi-zeros, which we obviously don't want to include (note that USRYIELD scoring does not include these pi-zeros since it only looks at products of inelastic hadronic reactions).