[fluka-discuss]: neutron production from thin tungsten

From: Maruyama, Takashi <tvm_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:50:54 -0800

We are setting up an experiment at JLab where 2.2 GeV electron beam is incident on 0.125% r.l. (about 4 microns thick) Tungsten target. As we want to operate FPGA at 17 cm from the target, we are trying to estimate neutron production. In such a thin target, interactions would take place via virtual photon exchange. FLUKA is very reliable in estimating neutron production from thick target (real photon interactions), but is there a way to setup FLUKA to handle virtual photon interaction? Is there any back of the envelop estimation on neutron production from thin target?

  Takashi Maruyama
  SLAC