RE: [fluka-discuss]: Neutron cross section

From: Chris Theis <Christian.Theis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:30:04 +0000

Hi Jonathan,

> You need to know all the decay constants and if we have V51 (I want to observe V52) for example, its decay constant will be the flux(neutron/s)*N (where N is the number of
> V52/neutron)

sorry, but there seems to be some misconception in terminology here. This has nothing to do with a "decay constant", which is a quantity defined as lambda = ln(2) / half-life.

Let me quickly summarize again how the calculation works:

*) neutron fluence in your material (V-51) is calculated via particle transport calculations
*) from tables the x-section of reaction V-51(n,g)V-52 is known and thus, the production rate of V-52 per source particle can be determined - this is what you seem to refer to as "decay constant".
*) with the definition of a beam intensity and a time period the activity can then be calculated by solving Bateman's equations. The only parameter which is still missing is the decay constant (lambda) of V-52 which is related to the half-life. It is tabulated as well in data collections like NUDAT or JEFF.

Cheers
Chris