Re: [fluka-discuss]: how to turn off ionization

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 06:55:16 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Shirley,

for your purpose a Monte Carlo code is probably not the best tool.
Read instead the famous article of Bruno Rossi and Kenneth Greisen:
Cosmic-ray theory, Rev. Mod. Phys. 13, 240 (1941).
The theory of gamma/electron showers neglecting the ionization is called
Approximation A and is described in Part II, section A (p. 273-288).
The theory with ionization is Approximation B, described in section B
(p. 288-297).

That theory has been further improved by other authors, but Rossi's
Approximations A and B have remained its basic pillars for many years.
Nowadays, the availability of computer programs has made that theory
to be nearly forgotten. But it is a pity: it is a beautiful theory which
can help to better understand electromagnetic showers.

Alberto

--
Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025