Re: [fluka-discuss]: [Fwd: different charge states beam]

From: Santana, Mario <msantana_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 13:55:58 -0700

Hi Pravin,

From what I know, so far there is no 'standard' way to achieve an ion beam
with two, three or multiple charge states. FLUKA uses an effective charge
(stored in variable Zfrttk of COMMON 'TRACKR'). If you print that variable
(e.g. In mgdraw.f), you will probably find that it is close but typically
smaller than Z, and probably not integer.
If you need to transport your ion beam along some magnetic field, you
could edit magfld.f routine so that the 'effective' strength over your
ions is such that you are emulating transport of ions of a given charge,
e.g. If you want to transport ions of charge +35 and Zeff=27.89, apply a
factor chfact = 35/Zfrttk to your magnetic field strength.

Mario