RE: [fluka-discuss]: Proton induced fission cross section

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 18:45:14 +0000

Dear Francesco,

I tried to verify the cross section you obtain by directly counting fission events by means of MGDRAW (in the USDRAW entry one can verify if an interaction involved fission by checking the logical flag LFSSSC; at the same time you can check that the projectile was a proton). I can indeed reproduce the value you get, i.e. I obtain ~2.1b for 50 MeV protons in U-238.

The issue here is not due to fission but can be attributed to the total interaction cross section which appears to be too elevated around this energy (for Z > 90).

(thanks to Alfredo for checking the latter point)

Cheers, Anton