[fluka-discuss]: Interactions and cross section definitions

From: Alexis Hasler <Alexis.Hasler_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 06:53:29 +0000

Dear Fluka Experts,

While conducting a small study on hadron nucleus cross sections, I would like to ask for some more detailed information about the classification of hadronic interactions in FLUKA.

Different experiments have published cross section measurements but the definitions are not always the same and different components of cross section are quoted.
I could find the following components for the cross section:
coherent; incoherent; production; inelastic; quasi-elastic

From the "ICODE" given by the FLUKA Online Manual, it seems that only two kind of interactions are given:
ICODE 100 relates to elastic interactions
ICODE 101 relates to inelastic interactions

Hence I'm not sure how to properly and consistently compare for example a production cross section result given by an experiment with a FLUKA prediction.
Is there any way to have more detailed information about the interaction processes in FLUKA and hence try to have access to different cross section components in order to be able to compare FLUKA predictions and measurements from the experiment?
How can we find for example whether the quasi-elastic component is included inside the FLUKA 100 elastic interaction ICODE or the FLUKA 101 interaction ICODE ?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Best Regards
Alexis