Re: [fluka-discuss]: DISCARD of heavy ions

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 11:03:44 +0200

Hello Reddel
no, you cannot use DISCARD.
You can use a user routine and set the weight of the unwanted ions to zero.
Either use mdstck.f , that is called after each interaction, or usrmed.f
that is called at each boundary crossing
Here some instructions,
       VALID ONLY IF ION TRANSPORT IS ACTIVATED
** MDSTCK::
mdstck receives as argument the total number of secondary particles, their
identities is stored in the GENSTK common in the KPART array:
IDION = KPART (I) for the I'th secondary
Values of IDION > -6 identify "standard" fluka particles, including light
ions up to alphas. In this case, the Z and barionic number of the particle
are stored in
ICHRGE (IDION) and IBARCH (IDION).
For IDION < -6, one can recover the Z and A that are encoded into IDION:
         IAHELP = MOD ( ABS (IONID), 100000 ) / 100
         IZHELP = MOD ( ABS (IONID), 10000000 ) / 100000

The particle can be flagged to be discarded by setting
    WEI (I) = ZERZER

*********************
USRMED:

here the identity of the particle is the "current" one from the TRACKR
common: IDION = JTRACK. Ions heavier than alphas will be automatically
coded as JTRACK=-2. In every case, Z and A are stored in ICHRGE (IDION)
and IBARCH (IDION).

Hope this helps
Paola

> Hello FLUKA team,
>
> I am simulating GCR Fe on thick aluminum targets. I would like to be able
> to look at some of the secondary heavy ions created in the nuclear
> collisions and was wondering if it is possible to DISCARD all heavy ions
> having a charge of Z=20 or less, for example, which I am not interested in
> for the moment. From the user manual, I am not sure if this can be
> specified using DISCARD?
>
> Brandon

Paola Sala
INFN Milano