[fluka-discuss]: Discrepancy between FLUKA and ICRU 49/NIST in He stopping powers for alphas

From: Luke Bird <luke.bird_at_oncology.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:06:39 +0000

Dear FLUKA experts and users, When simulating alphas moving through helium in SRIM and FLUKA I found that FLUKA tallied higher energies than SRIM, so I investigated and found that FLUKA outputs lower stopping powers for helium (Using SDUM = PRINT in the deltaray card) and those given in the TRIM/NIST databases as well as those in ICRU 49 (See figure attached). Is this a known issue or am I going wrong somewhere - although I don't see where. I am just initialising alphas with ~0.005 GeV and printing the stopping power to the output with he DELTARAY card. Thanks, Luke

Comparing Alpha Stopping Powers of He.png
(image/png attachment: Comparing_Alpha_Stopping_Powers_of_He.png)