RE: [fluka-discuss]: Stopping powers for proton therapy applications

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 18:57:34 +0200

Hi all,

what is printed in the output file, when requested through DELTARAY, is
exactly what is specified there, i.e. dE/dx in GeV/cm.

All along the DELTARAY description in the manual, reference is generically
made to "dp/dx tabulations". The actual quantity as well as the respective
unit (!) matter when numbers are given. (Anyway, a modification of that
manual page can still be helpful).

By the way, when one looks at the latter ones, the possible confusion is
immediately washed out: for a 10 MeV proton, dE/dx [GeV/cm] and dp/dx
[GeV/(c cm)] differ by a factor 7 (i.e. (E+m)/p or 1/beta), not by less
than percent.

Concerning now Luke's discrepancies (few MeV alphas in gas He), they can
be explained by the fact that the parameter set used by FLUKA for the low
energy fitting refers to liquid helium [present in quite some amount here
at CERN...], whereas the ICRU/NIST curve is the one of gas helium. The
difference is related to the different state, not to the much different
density, which is properly taken into account.

Concerning Ana's fluctuation up to ~5 permil (protons in graphite), we
need to have a deeper look into it.

Kindest regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti