Re: [fluka-discuss]: UsrMed Energy modulation

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:56:08 +0200

Dear Yuri,
perfect, we can start already with a source.f, that you can later modify
for your further needs.
The standard version of the source.f takes the parameters given in the
BEAM and BEAMPOS cards to defin a monochromatic pencil beam, therefore for
the moment you do not need to modify this part.

Fluka works internally with numbered lists of bodies and regions, so the
first job is to convert the name of the body that you need to move/change
into the internal fluka number.
In the source.f, "first call initialisation" part, retrieve and save the
number of the body that you need to move:

CALL NM2BDY ( BODNAM, IBODY, IERR )
BODNAM is a charachter*8 variable containing the body name, left justified
IBODY returns the body number
IERR is an error code, =0 means OK, =1 means body not found

It is a good practice to add a " SAVE IBODY" declaration in the routine
header

Then, event by event you chan change the parameters defining your body,
taking care not to introduce geometry errors, via a call to

SUBROUTINE SETBDY ( IBODY, ITYPE, BDYFIN, NBDYFI )

Where
input:
IBODY is the output of nm2bdy
ITYPE is the type of body. I attach a list of correspondence, for instance
 an XYP is input number 12
BDYFIN is a vector containing the body papameters in the same order as in
the fluka input cards. These values will override the ones given in the
input cards.
NBDYFI is the number of parameters (see attached list)

For instance, you can define the foil with an RPP and change runtime the
position of the exit face, Or define the foil faces with two planes and
change the position of one of them.

In this way, you can modulate the thickness of the foil according to your
range shift probability.

Moreover, if you will later on modify the source in order to define a
geometrically spread beam, you can even choose the thickness correlated
with the primary C12 position.

Hope this helps
Paola

> Dear Paola,
> Right now I am using the normal Beam Card with C12, momentum
> spread=0,angular distr. = 0, but I am planning to use the source.f
routine in the near future.
> Regards
> Yuri
>> Dear Yuri,
>> sorry, but I have to confirm that changing the energy in usrmed is NOT
possible. It may seem to work, but it doesn't, it spoils preset
quantities.
>> There is a better and safer way to perform what you plan, that is to
change the thickness of your foil event by event. In this way all the
simulation will be self-consistent. I'll explain you how to do, only I
would like to know if you are already using a "source.f" routine or
not.
>> Regards
>> Paola
>>> Dear Paola,
>>> thank you for your answer!
>>> We have the following idea: There is a thin foil in the nozzle of a
particle therapie device. This foil has mesh structure and therefore:
1. shifts the Bragg Peak of C12 Ions
>>> 2. modulates(broadens) the BP
>>> We want to take these 2 effects into account in Fluka. As it is quite
difficult to modell the mesh foil geometrically, we decided to replace
the mesh foil with a homogeneous one. This will only shift the BP. In
order to broaden it we want to use the UsrMed routine. The modulation
function of the foil (probability vs. particle range shift) is already
known. We want to sample from this function delta_z ("particle shift"
in cm) and convert it to delta_E using an ICRU49 equation. Delta_E
will be then added to the original Energy of the particle. This way we
can artificially broaden the BP.
>>> Actually we already tried this and it seems to work fine. The only
problem is that I still use in my equation Z and A from the projectile
(IPROZ, IPROA), whereas I need the specific Z and A of each particle
flying into the material. Do you know how I can access them?
>>> Best regards
>>> Yuri
C12).
fragmentation). Which variables should I use?
>> Paola Sala
>> INFN Milano
>> tel. Milano +39-0250317374
>> tel. CERN +41-227679148