RE: [fluka-discuss]: Dose calculations using stopping power values

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 07:03:04 +0000

Dear Metin,

If I understand correctly, you would like to use your own stopping power values within FLUKA to perform particle shower simulations? This is not possible and also not compatible with the FLUKA licence. May I also ask why you don't want to use the native stopping powers built into the FLUKA code?

In this context I would like to add another comment to your initial Email (where you had attached different input files for dose etc. calculations): I already mentioned in my first response that one should be cautious when modifying the Sternheimer parameters. I didn't realize it at that time (and thanks to Alberto for pointing it out), that the Sternheimer parameters you used in your input file were actually a copy from the manual. There is however a subtle point (thanks again to Alberto): this particular example (with lung as material) included a modified density via WHAT(2) of MAT-PROP, which is used for the density effect correction. However, in your copy of MAT-PROP you skipped WHAT(2), but should have been included. Let me quote the manual: "this factor multiplies the density of the material(s) when calculating the density effect parameters (e.g. if a reduced density is used to simulate voids, but of course the density effect parameters must be computed with the actual local physical density at the microscopic level)."

Cheers, Anton