Re: [fluka-discuss]: Post processing USRBIN file (*.bnn format)

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:51:13 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Rafiq,

bnn is binary. If you'd like to do it the brute-force way, use MATLAB fread.

The easy way is to convert bnn to ascii, under FLAIR>Run>Files>data then
right-click on the bnn file and select 'To ascii'. Thereafter, use MATLAB
fscanf, fgets, fgetl or ...

An alternative to the 'To ascii' function would be just to take the dat file,
assuming you plotted with FLAIR.

The lazyman's way is: manually edit the ascii file by removing the header lines.
Thereafter, use MATLAB load. This way, you won't even need to worry about bytes
and fields. You won't even need to open and close the file.

MATLAB or PYTHON or PERL the algorithm would be similar (with the exception that
MATLAB's load condenses all the steps in to one):
open the file
read each line, split according to the spaces or fields or bytes
arrange the numbers into an array
close the file

:) mary