Re: [fluka-discuss]: Particle fluence & PART-THR in NEW-DEFA

From: Anna Ferrari <a.ferrari_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 19:28:06 +0100

Dear Mina,

  in FLUKA setting a threshold for heavy charged particles does not mean that
you stop the transport, but that you stop the very refined transport: below
the threshold the transport is more crude, but whatever the threshold is heavy
charged particles are ranged out to rest.
An exception is if the energy cutoff has been set by the user > 100 MeV.
As you know, the situation is different for electrons/positrons: ranging out
is not done, mainly because it is difficult to define with precision a
residual range (you can see
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/prova/1305.html )

  Greetings!
  Anna

Am Thu, 19 Feb 2015 12:56:05 -0800 schrieb Mina Nozar <nozarm_at_triumf.ca>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I just did a quick study, looking at the energy/power deposition in an Al
>flange, enclosing an Indium seal. The flange sits upstream of a Be target
>(at a 45 deg angle and a distance of 45 cm from the target). The target is
>bombarded by 480 MeV proton beam.
>
> I chose NEW_DEFA as the defaults (so a PART-THR of 10 MeV for protons). I
>did not lower this threshold using PART-THR card. When I look at the
>particle fluences in the Al flange (beam particles, protons, and neutrons), I
>see protons down to 1 MeV energies and I am wondering why. It is like seeing
>a second set of data from 10 to 100 MeV.
>
> Please see the image enclosed.
>
> Thank you very much for helping me understand what is going on.
>
> Best wishes,
> Mina

Dr. Anna Ferrari
Institute of Radiation Physics
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
Tel. +49 351 260 2872
a.ferrari_at_hzdr.de
http://www.hzdr.de

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Roland Sauerbrey, Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. Peter
Joehnk
Vereinsregister: VR 1693 beim Amtsgericht Dresden