[fluka-discuss]: Re: ´ð¸´: [fluka-discuss]: Re: cosideration on Synchrotron radiation transport

From: Alberto Fasso' <fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 07:10:19 -0700 (PDT)

As I have said in my mail, questions should not be sent to me personally.
Again, I forward your question to the discussion list.
Why to set thresholds lower than the Pb K-edge, seems to me obvious
and not requiring explanation. Perhaps some colleague will give you a better
answer

Alberto

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, yang bo wrote:

> Respectable Prof. Fasso
>
> Could you specify that in shielding case, why we should set the photon
> transportation and production lower the K edge of shielding material. You
> always give us such useful guidance . Thank you very much.
>
> Bo yang
>
> -----????-----
> ???: owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it
> [mailto:owner-fluka-discuss_at_mi.infn.it] ?? Alberto Fasso'
> ????: 2015?3?11? 21:54
> ???: fluka-discuss_at_fluka.org
> ??: hamideh.jalali_at_ipm.ir
> ??: [fluka-discuss]: Re: cosideration on Synchrotron radiation transport
>
> Dear Hamideh,
>
> I am sorry: you should write to fluka discuss not only for "FLUKA
> programming", but all questions regarding FLUKA, including physics
> questions. I am not the only person who could answer, and it is important
> that all interested FLUKA users could read the answer and possibly discuss
> it.
> Therefore, I am forwarding your mail to the discussion list.
>
> In short, you can transport synchrotron radiation photons as any other
> photon of similar energy, with one exception. Synchrotron radiation is
> mainly polarized, and you can request photon transport with polarization.
> See option POLARIZA on the manual. I must say that most of the time, people
> don't take polarization into account: this approach is generally
> conservative in the horizontal plane, where people generally are, but is
> underevaluating dose in the vertical plane (for instance on a hutch roof).
> Setting cutoffs depends on your geometry and shielding material. If the
> shielding is made of lead, set the photon and production thresholds lower
> that the Pb K edge (about 80 keV). You can set electron cutoffs at 1 MeV or
> so.
> Note that ambient dose equivalent is zero below 10 keV.
>
> Alberto
>
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2015, Hamideh Beygzadeh Jalali wrote:
>
>> Respectable Prof. Fasso
>>
>> I am working on the matter of synchrotron radiation shielding. I could
>> program a source.f for a typical synchrotron spectrum correctly by
>> using your comment on my problem in fluka discuss. I have studied your
>> article about the comparison between STACK-8 and FLUKA. My question is
>> about considerations in transporting synchrotron radiation in FLUKA.
>> Is there any cut off or physics which should be considered in this
>> matter? I would be appreciate if you guide me in this problem?
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Hamideh
>>
>> ps, Sorry for sending this mail privately to you and not to fluka
>> discuss because I thought my question relates to the physics more than
>> FLUKA programming.

Alberto Fasso`
SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025
Phone: (1 650) 926 4762   Fax: (1 650) 926 3569
fasso_at_slac.stanford.edu