[fluka-discuss]: how to define a thick target bremsstrahlung

From: Ñ <b-yang12_at_mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:47:37 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

Dear Fluka user

    Rencently ,I have been working on radiation protection of X-ray generated by high-intensity laser facility. The source term is high-energy electrons following Maxwell distribution whose averaged energy is from a few MeV to Hundreds of MeV for different laser intensities . I would like to calculated the bremsstrahlung yield generated by these high-energy electrons hiting high-z thick target and evaluate this kind of ionizing hazard to compare with that of conventional electron accelerator. But I found a disagreement about the discription of thick-target bremsstrahlung between IAEA188 and NCRP 144. IAEA188 define the thick-target bremsstrahlung as a target of thickness corresponding to the maximum radiation called ¡°optimum target¡±,But NCRP144 define the thick-target bremsstrahlung as a target that is sufficiently thick to allow full development of the electro-magnetic cascade. I believe that these two kind of targets are not the same one and the bremsstrahlung yield from the former is much larger than that from the later.

So I am very confused about the thick-target bremsstrahlung yield and tenth values in different materials from IAEA188 and lately adopted by NCRP 144.

I don"t know why the definition of thick-target bremsstrahlung is different£¬but the results can be shared by IAEA and NCRP and how should I define the thick target in the simulation in terms of conservative practice.I hope you could help me to solve it.

Thanks in advance

Best regard

Bo Yang