Re: [fluka-discuss]: DICOM Import Explanation

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 15:04:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dirk,

For voxel geometry we have the following files:

.inp -- as in all other FLUKA simulations, with or without voxels.

.mat -- a lookup table so that FLAIR may map your DICOM files to a .vxl file.
This table is what the medical physics community refers to as the 'conversion
ramp'.

.vxl -- generated automatically by FLAIR for us, although in principle one can
still generate this manually without FLAIR's help, the painful way, in which
case .mat would not be necessary.

The material.inp which comes with the standard FLAIR distribution contains the
MATERIAL and COMPOUND cards only. Therefore, it is only an excerpt. It is not
yet the complete .inp ready for a FLUKA run. We can see that each SDUM in the
MATERIAL card corresponds to an entry in the second column of .mat.

Did you get a newly created file with, .vxl extension, in your directory? Organ
and voxel-regions numbers are embedded in .vxl. If we let FLAIR does the
conversion for us, these are nothing we need to worry about. We just need to
specify the name of the .vxl file as SDUM for the VOXELS card in .inp.

:) mary