RE: RE: [fluka-discuss]: about source.f

From: Anton Lechner <Anton.Lechner_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 12:58:37 +0000

Dear Simon,

If I understand correctly, you would like
A) a line source (delta-like, i.e. no lateral spatial extension) along an arbitrary direction. I assume positions are homogeneously distributed along this line?
B) particles should be emitted with a *polar* angle of 5 deg wrt the line source, while the *azimuthal* angle is isotropic? (I am not sure if this is what you mean with "a cone-shaped tube" ...)

I any case I am afraid such a source can only be realized by means of a source routine. I would recommend to look in the the FLUKA course material about source routine programming (https://indico.cern.ch/event/334606/contribution/35/material/slides/0.pdf, starting from page 24).

The only variables you need to touch are the positions (X/Y/ZFLK(NPFLKA) = ...) and direction cosines (TXFLK(NPFLKA) = ...). The easiest is probably to implement your source along the z-axis and then perform a transformation of positions and direction cosines. For example in the following way (for simplicity I just use dummy coordinates, which can then be assigned to the designated variables):

* Position sampling along the z-axis
X = 0
Y = 0
Z = homogeneous or whatever sampling

* Direction cosine sampling around the z-axis
TX = ...
TY = ...
TZ = ...

* Transforming from z-axis to arbitrary axis via ROT-DEFI cards defined in the input file (with rotation index NROT)
CALL UNDOTR ( 1, X, Y, Z, NROT )
CALL UNDRTO ( 1, TX, TY, TZ, NROT )

You can pass the rotation index via one of the WHATs of the source card, e.g.:
NROT = INT(WHASOU(1))

Hope this helps!
Cheers, Anton