RE: [fluka-discuss]: A optimaized ratio between iron and polyethylene

From: Zafar Yasin <Zafar.Yasin_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 19:04:17 +0000

Dear Bo Yang, Alberto, P. Neuhold, and fluka experts,

In addition to useful comments by Alberto, I want to add one thing more and if I am wrong please do correct me.

According to our calculations and knowledge, the best shielding materials for neutrons are mixtures of iron and
borated polyethylene instead of alone iron or polyethylene. Using a combination of iron and polyethylene can even
reduces flux up to 20-50 times or even more than using alone iron or polyethylene.

Selection of iron or polyethylene depends upon the energy of neutrons, neutron shielding depends on the energy
of the neutrons. For high energy neutrons , greater than a few MeV and higher, iron is the best shielding
 material. Actually, iron slows down fast neutrons to thermal energies. Polyethylene is the best for slow or thermal neutrons.
So, an optimization is first use iron, to slow down neutrons and then borated polyethylene to absorb neutrons. An optimasation
can be 50 % iron and 50 % polythelene and according to our simulations, 60-70 % iron and 30-40 % borated polyethylene.

Now in the present case energy of proton is 200 MeV. For this type of shielding there are two rough suggestions;

1. Use around 70-100 cm iron and then 70-100 cm borated polyethylene and dose will be withing the limits.
2. Use slabs of iron and borated polyethylene, one can select, 20 cm iron+20 cm Polythelene+20 cm iron +20 Cm Polythelen +
..............................and go up to 150-200 cm where you get doses within the limits.

And the compare these two cases with single shields of iron and polythelene and you will see a large variation.

Now question arises, where is concrete, or which is better borated polyethylene or concrete? I don't have numerical
values for these and I am looking for this but MC simulations are not finishing as I am running on pc with a single processor.
If any one can comment which is more better, but I think my simulations will show that polyethylene is more better for neutron
shielding than concrete. I am talking about only neutron shielding, no doubt concrete has other benefits and shielding walls are
always made of concrete and there is another discussion why shielding is used.

Best regards,
zafar Yasin